The Canon MX490 is a high-quality Canon printer that features Full-Photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering (FINE) and has a speed of 8.8ppm. Not only does this printer offer an automatic document feeder for up to 20 sheets, but it also has exceptional connectivity options that give you the ability to print virtually anywhere. There is, however, a need to have extra cartridges to ensure that your work doesn’t stop should your model’s ink cartridge run out of ink.
Official Compatible Cartridges
According to Canon, the following are the compatible cartridges for PIXMA MX490:
- CL-246XL Color
- CL- 244 CLR
- CL- 246 Color
- PG- 243 BLK
- PG 243/ CL- 244
- PG-245/ CL-246
- PG-245 XL/ CL-246 XL
- PG-245 Black
- PG-245/CL-246 XL Combo
- PG-245XL Black
Best Canon Option: The Canon PG-245XL Cartridge
- Compatible with: Canon TR4520 ,TR4522, MX490, MX492, IP2820, MG2420, MG2520, MG2522, MG2525, MG2920, MG2922, MG2924, MG3020, MG3022, MG3029, TS3120, TS3122, TS202, TS302, TS3320, TS3322 Printer
Where to Buy
If you are in need of replacement ink cartridges that are compatible with the PIXMA MX490 Canon printer, you can make your purchase directly from Canon. However, if you want a cheaper alternative, you can make your purchase from Inkjet or Amazon.
- Canon CL 246XL Color Combination Ink Cartridge
- For high quality results, each and every time!
If you are in the market for color combination ink cartridge, this would be an ideal choice. This cartridge is compatible with various Canon printer models including: Canon MX490, MX492, PIXMA ip2820, MG2520, MG2420, MG2525, MG2522, MG2920, MG2924, MG1922, MG3029, TS202, TS302, TS 3122, TS3120, TR4520.
Compared to standard cartridges, this high-yield model features Full Photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering technology that delivers added quality, detail, and sharpness to documents. It also includes one tricolor ink cartridge, making it great for saving time and money.
Most customers love its printing performance and the fact that it perfectly fits the printer.
- Canon PG 245 XL/CL 246 XL Combo
- The PG-245 XL black ink is used for printing documents on plain paper and ensures sharp black text, and the CL-246 XL color ink is used for printing colorful photos and images.
This is another Canon ink cartridge that is compatible with MX490 among other models like MX492, ip2820, MG2522, MG2920, MG3020, MG2924, MG2420, and MG2525. This multi-pack can save you lots of money and go longer between replacements than most cartridges in the market. The cartridge does an excellent job of printing documents on plain paper as well as printing vibrant and colorful images and photos.
One customer noted that they are the best value for money since the package includes one photo paper pack, one black ink tank, and one color ink tank. They were also quick to note that the XL cartridge is extremely top-notch and produces superior quality results and sharp black text.
Another reviewer said that they had previously purchased 2 models of ink cartridges which caused the printer not to print. This buyer suspected that the issue was with the cartridges and not the printer; hence, they opted to purchase the Canon PG 245 XL/CL 246 XL Combo cartridges before breaking the bank to purchase another printer. They were completely impressed by this pack saying that it offers value for money.
Another reviewer was quick to explain how they had an easy time using this canon cartridge after being disappointed by remanufactured cartridges. They were happy that it doesn’t leak, stall, or cause a mess.
- Canon PG-254 Blank Ink Cartridge
- Dye based ink formulation for beautiful colors
Just like most Canon cartridges, this black ink cartridge is designed with the Full- Photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Technology (FINE). The cartridge is attuned to MX490 and other select PIXMA printers such as MX492 and MG2522. It provides professional quality images and texts with its black pigmented color using the ink-jet printing technology.
One customer was happy with the fact that the black ink lasts long even if they were using it to print a lot of things. That particular buyer also noted that the black color did not fade to grey color even in instances when the ink levels dropped.
Although another one stated that the cartridges are very expensive, they were happy that the cartridges produced quality and quantity prints.
How to Replace the MX490 Cartridges
Replacing the cartridges for Canon MX490 ink is pretty straightforward. Here are some steps to follow:
- Ensure that the power is turned on
- Then, open the front cover as well as the paper output tray
- Open the paper output cover; this will allow the FINE cartridge holder to move to the replacement position.
- Now push the empty cartridge downwards. Once it is released from its slot, carefully slide it out.
- Remove the new cartridge from its package and remove the protective tape before sliding it in.
- Push it in and ensure that it snaps into place before lifting the cover-up.