Printers can be stressful at times, they may incorrectly identify the ink cartridge as empty and therefore refuse to print. When this happens, the printer’s ink level light will blink and an error message will show. If you see an “ink out” or “cartridge not recognized” message, don’t panic. The following steps will help:
How To Reset A Canon PG 245 Ink Cartridge
- Press down the stop/release button for 5 to 8 seconds
- After the 8 seconds, release the button and you will hear the printer producing a sound, meaning the machine is resetting itself
- Go ahead and copy or print your document
- The message should have cleared and you should be able to print your work without any difficulty.
If you have followed the procedure and you are still not able to print:
- Remove the cartridge and clean the chip with a lint-free cloth, this will remove any residue on the contact points that may be the source of the error message
- Return the cartridge and hold down the stop/release button for 15 seconds
It will request you to wait a while as your printer goes through a startup sequence
Once the sequence is complete, you may print out your document
How to Fill Your Cartridge Canon PG 245 with Ink
In other instances, you may have done all these procedures but your printer is still not printing. Your cartridge may be empty and you need to fill it with ink. After confirming that your cartridge is empty, get your canon ink cartridge refill kit which contains ink of different colors, a syringe, and a small drill. It is necessary that you get a kit for your specific printer model number. To fill ink in your cartridge, follow the following steps:
- Remove the ink cartridge and put the cartridge on a towel where you wouldn’t mind spillage
- Remove the top label, if it’s a multi-colored cartridge, you will see 3 holes each leading to a separate ink chamber
- Make a hole on a circle on top of the cartridge using the drill.
- Fill the syringe with 10ml of the correct ink color
- Stick the syringe needle into the hole and fill it with the ink
- Use a paper towel to wipe off any spilled ink on the cartridge
- Cover the hole you drilled with tape and poke a small hole through it for the ventilation of the cartridge
- Insert the cartridge back into the printer and test your printer
Your printer should work perfectly. If you still see the error message, then probably the ink cartridge may have internal electrical damage. This problem is not related to ink filling process and usually depends on the use and age of the ink cartridge. Make sure you check for physical damages such as cracks, on the cartridge. In this case, the only alternative is to buy a new cartridge.